Don’t forgo fresh fruits and vegetables when shopping. Fresh is best and may cost more but in the long run, for health reasons, if you decide to skip fresh fruits and vegetables you will be doing a disservice to your diet and health.
To maximize your budget:
- Buy only the fruits and vegetables that are on sale
- Shop at a fruit/vegetable market – often the quality and price are much better
- Look for fruits and vegetables that are slightly bruised, often they are packaged for quick sale
- If you buy packaged greens on the sell by date they are generally discounted, this is a great deal if you use them the same day
- Try different varieties of fruits (applies, oranges, plums) Some of the standard varietals have been overshadowed by newer ones – look at Red and Golden Delicious apples instead of Braeburn